Monday, April 9, 2012

Sisterly love

My rating: 4 of 5 stars

"See, we love each other. We just don't happen to like each other very much."

Growing up, I would have loved a sister. Granted, my hair was never long enough to french braid, which is mainly why I wanted a sister. She would know how to braid hair, put on makeup, and act in all the plays I made up. And while I wasn't blessed with a "blood" sister, I am thankful to have a few girlfriends who are sisters to me.

The Weird Sisters is a story about three sisters who have been raised by their Shakespeare professor father and homemaker mother. When their mom is diagnosed with breast cancer, the sisters find themselves living together in the family home once more. The sisters, who each feel they have a defined role in the family, want to break old patterns, but they all have secrets. Each sister is looking for redemption for their past so they can move towards a future.

The book is filled with Shakespeare quotes (which the family uses to communicate). And the title is most likely from The Scottish Play, but I like to relate it to the band from the Harry Potter books.
(P.S. Look up The Scottish Play if you are confused) 

I really liked this book. The writing style and tone was different from my usual reads. It dealt with family relationships, learning from mistakes, and learning to like (or love) yourself despite your faults. Request it here.

If you enjoy books about sisterly relationships (blood and love) here are some other titles you may enjoy.

Tissue Warning!!!! The Last Summer of You and Me - Ann Brashares  
One of my favorite authors  Best Friends Forever - Jennifer Weiner
Strange, but interesting  Her Fearful Symmetry - Audrey Niffenegger  
One of my favorite books that is not well known  The Lost Art of Keeping Secrets - Eva Rice
(For those of you who like Broadway musicals, she is the daughter of famed lyricist Tim Rice)
Judy Blume for older readers Summer Sisters - Judy Blume



View all my reviews

2 comments:

  1. Lisa See is also a very talented author I would recommend for anyone interested in sisterly/familial bonds.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the recommendation. I still haven't read anything by her.

    ReplyDelete