Monday, March 19, 2012

"This Is A Story About Control, My Control"

My rating: 5 out of 5 stars

It has been a while since a book grabbed me by the throat and dragged me into the story. This was the case with Heft.

The story focuses on three characters: Arthur Opp, Charlene Turner, and Kel Turner, Charlene's son. Arthur is a former college professor who has not left his house for years, due to his obesity.  The story explains his retreat from society and the reasons for it. Charlene, a Yonkers native, came into Arthur's life as a student. Their relationship has mainly been through letters, but they have not corresponded in several years. An unexpected phone call to Arthur from Charlene is the catalyst for these three people understanding how they are bonded together. Kel, a promising athlete, struggles with the constant change in the world around him. The story weaves the past and present, and the reader follows Kel's journey of discovering himself due to events beyond his control.

For me, the book is about control, and the journey of either taking it, surrendering it, surrendering to it, or commanding it. Moore's style made me feel like I was in the book with these characters, and I came to care for them deeply. This is a quick and easy read. Just be prepared to not want to put it down until it's finished.

If you enjoy this book, you might enjoy Lisa Genova's Still Alice, or Kody Keplinger's The DUFF. Keplinger's book is young adult, with mature themes, but the story has stayed with me longer than most.

The title of this entry was quoted from the Terry Lewis and James Harris hit song "Control" that they wrote for Janet Jackson.


No comments:

Post a Comment